Sunday, August 8, 2010

Time

Is 20 minutes of time worth $50?

I locked the keys the car while stepping out to the ATM yesterday. Husband was out of cell phone range, so my only recourse was to call the locksmith. And wait 20 minutes.

I had just been thinking about how my To Do list isn't necessarily God's plan for me - so now was the time to put things to the test.

I grabbed a blended mocha from Dutch Brothers - a treat I haven't afforded in ages. Then I sat on the car bumper, doing a little surreptitious people-watching (trying not to look like I was casing the people visiting the ATM).

OK, God - what do You have planned for me here?

Is there someone You have destined me to meet here? Someone I can speak to on Your behalf?

Nope - nobody special showed up. Nothing profound happened.

$50 was an expensive price to pay - for a moment of absent-mindedness on my part.

But I DID get something out of it. TWENTY minutes of time. With nothing pressing - no list of things I SHOULD be doing - because I COULDN'T do anything - except wait.

I looked at is as a gift, and that made all the difference.

1 comment:

ann said...

i like this one especially as i identify with it and like your solution.

i like all your posts here, thank you!