Sunday, October 3, 2010

The Vine

DSC01385
“I am the vine; you are the branches…”

Our grape vines are prolific – more fruit than we know what to do with, year after year.  Whether we prune them or not, water them or not, talk to them or not.

Until this year.

I guess it’s my fault.  I hadn’t gotten around to pruning them, though I am the self-educated grape vine pruner in our house.  So husband organized someone else to do it who had never pruned grapes before.

They were WELL pruned.  Nothing left but the vines.  No branches at all.

Come summer, they grew prolifically.  Loads of foliage, lush and and beautiful and green.

No grapes.

Makes me wonder about this whole vine analogy. 

Yes, as branches we need to be grafted into the vine in order to bear fruit.  But does God need us?  If all His branches are pruned away, what is the result?  Does He work so hard to redeem us because He needs us?

Why?

No comments: